WEEDS “Bliss” Review

WEEDS (Showtime)--"Bliss"

In the “Bliss” episode of WEEDS, Silas and Shane find comfort zones while Nancy gets her hash business up and running, Andy gets a promotion, and Doug remains lost with his would-be killers. Nancy strikes a deal with the hotel concierge to start distributing her product where she gives him 25% of her sales. The other 75% go to Andy, Silas, and Shane, and she runs into a product shortage after another maid interrupts her hash’s drying cycle, so she has to barter used oil from the hotel kitchen to get more. Andy, who has just been promoted to sous chef because of his duck confit, objects but is, as always, overruled. Silas pretends to be a college student and jumps into a life of Frisbee and vajazzling that cuts his lip. Shane pretends to be Stevie’s father to a mommy group in the park but is caught with the moms threatening to call child protective services just as Andy and Nancy are stopped by police as they carry trash bags full of marijuana trimmings.

Oh, Nancy. Shane may be psychotic, but he has a point about her being a bad drug dealer. I so want to believe her when she says that she “gets shit done,” but it always seems to fall apart, doesn’t it? I love her scenes with Linda (“Men are the Monday crossword, but we’re Sunday.” “Is that the road paved with bullshit?”) and the other hotel maid (“Pray to Jesus and play the lotto, girl.”), but for much of the episode she seems flat and much too passive. Not with Andy, of course, because Andy will always out-passive her, but I’d like more aggression from my favorite passive-aggressive drug dealer. I doubt the close encounter of the cop kind will lead to anything, but it’s just another sign Nancy/Natalie needs to get her act together. “See, he just read to him in his underwear and the guy tipped him.” Shouldn’t there be a smidgeon of maternal concern there?

Is Weeds leading up to a Silas is gay storyline? Yes, he sleeps with the random girl tonight, but he seems much more interested in his new guy buddy and there was too much stress on the f-word and Silas’ need to find a girl to have sex with after his reading in his underwear gig. Regardless, it’s kind of heartbreaking to see him get a glimpse of the life he could have had if his family were slightly more functional.

Shane discussing kegel exercises with the mommy group is one of the creepier things I’ve seen in a while, but at least for now he’s just a pathological liar instead of the serial killer he’s just waiting to be. “You can’t choose your family, right?” Well, that’s the truth.

The Doug storyline feels forced into the episode and I’m not sure where it’s going. The shooting of the homeless guy and subsequent worry over both the cat and excess mileage are surreal and I like the 20 questions in Spanish annoying Doug and that his episode of $25,000 Pyramid will never air because he “tweaked Betty White’s nipple. She’s not as cool as people think.”

For a second there, I thought Andy was going to lose a finger, but instead he gets spanked and I lose all interest. He needs more to do.

“Bliss” is a filler-rific episode with little forward motion but it gives us a good sense of just how trapped Nancy must feel. Now we just need Weeds to find its “Eat, Pray, Love moment” and get all of the characters going on their journeys.

What did you think of “Bliss?” Are Nancy and Andy busted? What will Child Protective Services think about the Botwins?

Follow me on Twitter @michstjame