When last we left the ABC series Castle back on May 7, the night of its season finale, Detective Kate Beckett (Stana Katic) handed in her badge after recklessly (and finally) pursuing the man who shot her last year; and then she marched straight over to the apartment of Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) to finally declare her true feelings for him. After she uttered “I just want you” they shared in some long-anticipated kisses and a walk toward his bedroom that could only mean one thing…
But, as fans gear up for the fast-approaching fifth season premiere of the fan-favorite show, let’s take a few minutes to look at where we left off with the some of the other characters:
• The situation between partners Kevin Ryan (Seamus Dever) and Javier Esposito (Jon Huertas) is greatly strained because of Kevin involving Captain Gates (Penny Johnson Jerald) in Beckett’s manhunt for Maddox (guest star Tahmoh Penikett), the man who shot Kate last season and the man who is somehow involved in the series-arching conspiracy about Kate’s mother’s murder;
• Alexis graduated high school, making her valedictorian speech before an audience full of her fellow classmates, school administrators and her very proud dad and grandmother, Martha Rodgers (Susan Sullivan); and,
• Of course, there is that big declaration by Beckett to Castle that had fans on the edge of their seats – they kissed and were going to his bedroom to finally “get it on”.
When the series returns, it is the morning after Kate’s visit to Castle’s place and viewers will get to see what happened last night. But fans should be warned that according to Andrew Marlow, the series creator, “they wake up in (this) blissful bubble, but life has a way of coming in and bursting that bubble”. To say the least, it could be a bumpy ride for our two lovebirds, but hopefully they will enjoy having a relationship (for as long as it lasts) even if it’s under wraps.
Kate will also still be in the crosshairs of Maddox, but coming to her aid is a powerful U.S. Senator, to be played by actor Jack Coleman) who has “compelling information” about Johanna Beckett’s murder, which will finally be solved.
Fans can also expect the following stories this coming season:
• There will be a Comic Con themed episode, to be directed by Star Trek veteran Jonathan Frakes, that finds Castle and Beckett investigating a death at a science fiction convention that thrusts them into a “world of egotistic celebrities, diehard fans and enough drama for two galaxies” (per Marlowe);
• A one shot documentary-style similar to the NBC comedy The Office;
• A November sweeps episode that should “shake things up”;
• There could possibly be a two-parter this season; but it will “probably (be) something different (than other two-part episodes) – something a little more personal” (per Marlowe); and,
• The relationship between Ryan and Esposito will get worse with an upcoming “moment where (their relationship) is really tested” (per Marlowe).
The season premiere of ‘Castle’ will air on ABC on September 24 at 10/9c.