Criminal Minds airs its two-hour season finale tonight at 8pm on CBS and last week, show runner Erica Messer sat down to answer a few questions about the series, including teasers about the finale, what it’s been like losing a cast member and more.
– The season will not end in a cliffhanger, the story that is started at the beginning of the episode will be completed by the time the two hours is over. There will however be some open-ended stories left to be possibly fleshed-out next season
– They were tempted to end the season with an explosion or some other drama, but chose instead to end it with a smile. They felt like season 6 had been a tough season and this season had been better, and they wanted the end to reflect that. Erica said: “We wanted to go out smiling, which is something we never do.”
– Erica said that writing the final episode for Prentiss was bittersweet as she had written the character’s introduction back in season 2, plus she wrote the episode that brought her back earlier this season.
– They haven’t decided yet whether or not they will bring in a new team mate to replace Prentiss. The team could conceivably go on without a replacement. But if they do add a new character to the team, Erica said that they will make sure that the person will belong in the prestigious BAU.
– The episode were Prentiss decided to buy a house was already shot when they got news that Paget had decided to leave the series, which presented the writers with a bit of a challenge.
– It was Paget’s choice to leave the series, but Erica said she has many more stories to tell with Prentiss and would love to maybe bring her back next season for a couple of episodes to tie up any loose ends. Paget gave them a lot of notice about her departure, which helped them a lot.
– They will probably not pick up next season right where the finale ends off, but instead show that some time (probably a few months) has passed.
– When asked about the possible return of Mandy Patinkin, Eric said that they never say never and anything is possible, but that currently there were no plans to have him return next season.
I was lucky enough to get the chance to watch the first part of the finale and I can tell you that it is definitely action-packed. I can’t imagine how they will tie it all up to leave everyone smiling at the end, that’s for sure. Be sure to check out the Criminal Minds season finale tonight on CBS.