Update: here is the full interview of Mark Harmon.
Today, I had the great privilege to talk to none other than Mr Mark Harmon aka Leroy Jethro Gibbs, the leader of the team behind the CBS’ ratings juggernaut NCIS which ends its ninth season tomorrow Tuesday, May 15 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
During our very interesting chat, Mr Harmon went over a slew of topics including the upcoming season finale, the introduction of Samantha Ryan played by Jamie Lee Curtis and even what was his favorite Gibbs’ rule. The full interview will be up before tomorrow’s premiere but in the meantime, I wanted to share a few tidbits of what we talked about:
- Harmon credits the great story arc of the season to writer Gary Glasberg
- Says Gary wanted the story to focus on America based threat, instead of a foreign one and of course focus it on the navy so that NCIS is at the center of the solution
- Season arc ends tomorrow night but he wouldn’t be surprised “if this fell unto next year as well”
- Harmon about the season finale: “This is an exciting end and like many things on this show, maybe it’s not an end.”
- Harmon on Gibbs and Ryan Relationship: “Gibbs is an odd guy in any kind of relationship” but in this case, her background put two of them in conflict
- Says that whether they will end up together or not, it brought Gibbs’ character forward.
- Also says Jamie Lee Curtis is a treat to have on set. She had a great time, a good person and a rare talent.
- Harmon still gets surprised about his character
- He got a kick out of knowing that there are fan sites that catalogue all the Gibbs rules.
- He doesn’t necessarily have a favorite rule but he likes that Gibbs has them because it gives him a moral structure.